Sunday, February 25, 2007

Friends and Family: A Fatal blow

Rick Segal is one of the few VCs I know who actively, wholeheartedly engages with the startup community here in town. His efforts go beyond what's needed to attract near term deal flow, to the bigger picture: creating a world class business generation centre in Toronto. It's why, speaking strictly in a business sense, I get a fluttery feeling in my stomach whenever I visit his blog. I know that there will be something there that will e- touch me. His latest post could have been about many businesses we've encountered. The issue Rick raises is also why we've scheduled a Venture Law Lines seminar for March on how to paper friends, family and even angel investments by yourself, with minimal legal intervention from actual breathing lawyers like us. We'll be sending out the details in the next week or so. Please send me an email if you'd like to receive details.